Indoor activities that get K9 hearts pumping, like playing fetch with small treats or going through fun obstacle courses, are great, but indoor exercises are limited. These activities just never seem quite adequate enough. So have you ever considered walking your dogs on your treadmill?
There is a misconception that walking dogs on the treadmill is dangerous, but treadmills are actually relatively safe for pets. In fact, there are even treadmills designed especially for dogs, although normal treadmills are just as efficient. As long as a few simple rules are followed, walking dogs on the treadmill is a great cardio workout for dogs.
Some important tips to remember:
- Don’t tie your dogs to the treadmill. You should allow your dogs to walk off the treadmill at anytime.
- Don’t hold any treats or toys in front of your dogs while they are walking, as this could be extremely distracting!
- Don’t let your dogs walk on a treadmill right after a nice long nap in their crate. Dogs are groggy after a long nap too!
- Do start at a slow speed. Let your dogs adjust to the treadmill for a while before increasing the speed.
- Do put a pillow or a towel behind and next to the treadmill.
- Do stay close by and keep a watchful eye while your dog is exercising on the treadmill.
With a combination of fun indoor activities and ten minutes of steady walking on the treadmill, your pets will be in tiptop shape for the rest of this cold winter! Try it and share your stories with us!
For your enjoyment and as a confident booster, check out these fearless dogs taking a stroll on the treadmill!